Monday, April 13, 2009

The floating bridge - a land expedition

Now this post is slightly off topic but when I encountered that floating bridge mentioned in the last post, I got just a little obsessed by it. I sailed there again (see not really off topic!) yesterday and shot a picture from the other side. 

Photobucket

But I still hadn't got enough. So today I ventured on a land expedition to get a closer look. I even got the admiral with me. We volvoed out to the land side of the bridge.
Photobucket
As soon as we were on it I realised that it in fact is the floating docks from the island's marina. They still have the berth numbers on them...
Photobucket
There is a handrail added and real lightposts. Still it must be interesting to walk over it in a winter gale. Now it was a dead calm (no sailing today....).

We walked around the island for a while. There were some nice boats.
Photobucket
A few dogs, five cats. Lots of houses in different shapes and states.
Photobucket

trees...
Photobucket

some outboards in a bucket...
Photobucket

And a great view all around.
Photobucket

Would be nice to sail here a little later in the season when everything is green. However, there are no good sheltered docks or anchorages, all the boats are bobbing around frightfully in the swell of passing motorboats and ferries...

Oh and we were just in time...the bridge will be taken down this week...

No comments: